Sunday, August 29, 2010

Whoa! Why didn't I know this?!?!

As a short follow-up to my last random daily thought...

the Nicoya Peninsula in north-western Costa Rica was named a Blue Zone in 2007!!!

A Blue Zone, by the way, is an area with a high rate of active centenarians. Remember centenarians from my last post? Well, check out their web page and really cute videos of old people.

Anyway, I have visited this area of Costa Rica! Kinda. Actually, I've been to the areas around the peninsula. I didn't really get to spend much time on the peninsula. But it still counts.

The Guanacaste region of Costa Rica was definitely my favorite place we visited. I especially miss those huge Guanacaste trees, Enterolobium cyclocarpum. (The picture below isn't actually an E. cyclocarpum, but that one off in the distance might be. The umbrella shaped one. I just like this picture.)


So, not only is Costa Rica the happiest country in the world, it also has the highest life expectancy among 60-year-olds in the entire WORLD (meaning, if you make it to 60, it is very likely that you'll also make it to 100). I guess I'll just have to move back there soon!

Live Longer. Live Better.

1 comment:

  1. YES!!! When my dreams collide! Being old AND in Costa Rica. I like this a lot! We should do it!!!

    ReplyDelete