Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Random Thought of the Day

Barn Swallows are pretty neat. The females select males based on the length of their streamer tails. Males with long streamers are more fit (they can dedicate more energy to growing long tail feathers), they have lower parasite loads, longer lived, disease resistant, and have a higher vitality.

They are also quite promiscuous. Barn swallows are socially monogamous, but genetically polygamous.

In other words...

they're cheaters.

Harold! I come home from a long day in the field and find you here with her?!
What the hell is this?! Am I not enough for you? Are you sleeping around with
other birds? It's because I'm molting isn't it? I'm so ugly when I'm molting!
You think I'm ugly, don't you?! My mother was right about you! She knew
our relationship wouldn't last. We met in a bar in Cabo for Pete's sake!

She caught the early train home. She gets bitchy when she molts. Avian PMS.

No comments:

Post a Comment